Frequently Asked Questions

Whom do you serve?

Children, teens and young adults, ages 0-22 who have experienced abuse, neglect, trafficking or who are facing homelessness.

Our year-round programs include three Christmas Box House emergency children’s shelters and thirteen Resource Rooms. We also serve youth who are transitioning from foster care into adulthood, and young adults who are facing homelessness.

During the holiday season, through Project Elf we work with the community to provide children and teens who are at risk of removal have a Merry Christmas Morning.

What is a Christmas Box House?

A short-term crisis shelter for children and teens removed from their homes due to abuse, neglect or abandonment. The children and teens temporarily live at one of the three Christmas Box Houses while more permanent living arrangements are identified. There are three Christmas Box Houses in Utah: one in SLC, Ogden and Moab.

Why do kids and teens stay at a Christmas Box House?

Children who are removed from the unsafe situation they were in stay at a Christmas Box House while caseworkers find an appropriate relative the children can stay with, or if none are available, then an appropriate foster home.

I know a child staying at The Christmas Box House. How do I contact them?

To have any communication with a child in state care, you must contact the child’s caseworker directly. If you don’t know their number, please call Division of Child and Family Services Hotline at 1-855-323-3237.

If I want to mail a check to The Christmas Box House, what is the best address?

Please address checks to:

Christmas Box International
3660 West South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

Please provide your contact information (name, address, email) so that we may send you a receipt.

When and how can I drop off NEW items?

Drop off times and locations vary depending on where you would like to make your donation. We currently accept NEW items at our three Christmas Box Houses in Salt Lake, Ogden and Moab, as well as our Resource Rooms in Utah Valley. Check out when you can drop off at a location closest to you by clicking here.

Do you accept USED items?

In an effort to honor the kids we serve, we only accept NEW items. These new items are critical to help offset the significant costs of bringing a child into a foster or kinship home.

What kind of donations do you need?

Our needs are constantly changing. To see our regional urgent needs, please see our Wish Lists page by clicking here.

If I want to purchase something special for the shelter, whom should I call?

Please feel free to send us an email at [email protected] and one of our staff members will respond.

How old do I have to be to volunteer?

All volunteers visiting our Salt Lake, Ogden or Moab CBH campus must be at least age 18 years or older.

How can I volunteer if I’m under 18?

Volunteers of all ages may participate in the Kids Helping Kids fundraising through their schools. If you would like to get your school involved, please click here for additional information.